Welcome to Jerusalem Posts Forum
Help the IDF, they need fresh underwear, food, money for the injured and families of the fallen are being made available by the LIBI Fund. Stuff is being dropped of to the troops as fast as it can. But they need more.

Menu
· Home
· Calendar
· Feedback
· Forums
· Links
· Polls
· Private Messages
· Recommend Us
· Submit News
· Your Account
· Your Journal

Recommended

Gerald Honigman has just published a major book, "QUEST FOR JUSTICE", the result of decades of study on the Middle east.

Jerry was denied a PhD because he was too pro-Israel. But he wasn’t daunted and went on to crown his years of study with this book rather than a PhD.

To read more about the book and what others say and where you can buy it go
HERE.

Jerusalem Posts :: View topic - A little background on Arafat
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   FavoritesFavorites   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

A little background on Arafat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Jerusalem Posts Forum Index -> Introduction to the Arab/Israel Conflict
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nannette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: A little background on Arafat Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

From Go Israel Go

Dennis Ross knows Arafat. He knows him better than most. He was the lead negotiator between Israel and the Arab Palestinians under both Bush and Clinton. After having kept his mouth shut for what must have seen like ages, he has this to say about the worlds oldest terrorist:

Quote:
Throughout the Oslo peace process, everyone involved—Palestinians, Israelis, Americans, Egyptians, Saudis, and other Arab leaders—shared the belief that Arafat wanted peace with Israel. It seemed logical. After all, Arafat had crossed the threshold and recognized Israel, incurring the wrath of secular and religious rejectionists. And he had authorized five limited or interim agreements with the Israelis. Although Arafat held out until the last possible minute and strived for the best deal, he eventually made the compromises necessary to reach those interim agreements.

Unfortunately, such short-term progress masked some disquieting signals about the Palestinian leader’s intentions. Every agreement he made was limited and contained nothing he regarded as irrevocable. He was not, in his eyes, required to surrender any claims. Worse, notwithstanding his commitment to renounce violence, he has never relinquished the terror card. Moreover, he is always quick to exaggerate his achievements, even while maintaining an ongoing sense of grievance. During the Oslo peace process, he never prepared his public for compromise. Instead, he led the Palestinians to believe the peace process would produce everything they ever wanted—and he implicitly suggested a return to armed struggle if negotiations fell short of those unattainable goals. Even in good times, Arafat spoke to Palestinian groups about how the struggle, the jihad, would lead them to Jerusalem. Too often his partners in the peace process dismissed this behavior as Arafat being caught up in rhetorical flourishes in front of his “party” faithful. I myself pressed him when his language went too far or provoked an angry Israeli response, but his stock answer was that he was just talking about the importance of struggling for rights through the negotiation process.

But from the start of the Oslo negotiations in 1993, Arafat focused only on what he was going to receive, not what he had to give. He found it difficult to live without a cause, a struggle, a grievance, and a conflict to define him. Arafat never faced up to what he would have to do—even though we tried repeatedly to condition him. As a result, when he was finally put to the test with former President Bill Clinton’s proposal in December 2000, Arafat failed miserably.

Is there any sign that Arafat has changed and is ready to make historic decisions for peace? I see no indication of it.

Keep in mind this man is a politician. His statements amount to hammerblows when translated into the language of real humans.
On the subject of who directs or controls the Arab violence:

Quote:
Arafat has demonstrated in the past that he can prevent violence—most notably in the spring of 1996 when he cracked down on Hamas and also in the first year of former Prime Minister Ehud Barak’s administration, when Israel, for the only time in its history, had a year in which it did not suffer a single fatality from terror.

Yet from the beginning of the peace process, Arafat made clear he prefers to co-opt, not confront, extremist groups. This approach reflects his leadership style: He never closes doors. He never forecloses options. He never knows when he might want to have a particular group, no matter what its ideology or purpose, on his side. This strategy has certainly been true of his dealings with Hamas and Islamic Jihad. In 1996, he suppressed extremists because they were threatening his power, not because they carried out four suicide bombings in Israel in nine days. Even then, the crackdown, while real, was limited. Arafat did not completely shut the door on either group.

In the past, whenever Arafat cracked down or threatened to do so, the militants backed down. But that stopped in September 2000 with the eruption of the Al-Aqsa Intifada. Those who say Arafat cannot carry out his security responsibilities because Israeli military incursions have devastated his capabilities fail to recognize that Arafat didn’t act even before Israelis destroyed his infrastructure. In the 20 months leading up to May 2002, he never gave unequivocal orders to arrest, much less stop, those who were planning, organizing, recruiting, financing, or implementing terror attacks against Israelis. Whether one thinks—as the Israelis believe recently captured documents demonstrate—Arafat directs the violence or that he simply acquiesces to it, the unmistakable fact is that he has made no serious or sustained effort to stop the violence.

Dennis B. Ross on Arafat

And then some 30 odd years old news: Arafat ordered the murder of American diplomats (No, I'm not referring to the bomb attack that was perpetrated about a year ago, and also has had NO consequences for the Arch-terrorist). No, I'm talking about this:

Quote:
FBI agents are now gathering evidence about Arafat's culpability in a March 1, 1973, operation in which eight members of the Black September terrorist organization, part of Arafat's Fatah faction of the PLO, stormed the Saudi embassy in Khartoum, reportedly on Arafat's orders, taking U.S. Ambassador Cleo Noel, diplomat Charge d'Affaires George Curtis Moore and others hostage, and one day later, killing Noel, Moore and Belgian diplomat Guy Eid.

Of course, this is not news at all. It is in fact common knowledge, as is the fact that the US State department has been blandly ignoring all evidence of the murder handed over to them by Israel. In addition, their own evidence has gone missing.

Quote:
But the one critical piece of evidence needed to warrant an indictment – the tape recordings – was not produced by the NSA, the Central Intelligence Agency or the State Department.

Everyone who is even slightly interested in the matter has known about this for years, decades. It is only politically motivated that something seems to be moving now.

But just imagine for a second the kind of government these murdered diplomats worked for. It was quite happy to let the murder of its own people slide for some opportunistic motive.

FBI probes Arafat for American kills. Please read.

http://goisraelgo.blogspot.com/2004/09/little-background-on-arafat.html
- Kohelet Rabba 7:16
Starlight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I hope you ll do a good one on Sharon too , (he started earlier , at 14 )
Levi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, this is not news at all. It is in fact common knowledge, as is the fact that the US State department has been blandly ignoring all evidence of the murder handed over to them by Israel. In addition, their own evidence has gone missing.

Arafat is the founder of modern terrorism. He should have been arrested long time ago and judged for many murders of the past, as well as the present.
Nannette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

starlight wrote:

Arafat and the PLO have committed terrorists acts all over the world and are responsible for so many more deaths than anyone could ever accuse Ariel Sharon of...

I'm critical of Sharon and his present policies... but it's time Israel acted independently from America...
Levi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sharon is no terrorist. Never was, never will be. Sharon or the Israelis didn't orchestrate world terrorist acts, like hijackings of planes, ships, and taking hostages. The freaking Arabs and Arafat did. From Athens to Rome, from Lockerbie to New York, from Teheran to Beslan, the Islamic swines have been terrorizing this world at every opportunity they had. It is time the world woke up and dealt a mortal blow once and for all to all the Arab scum who pick up weapons to spread violence and terror
Starlight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
Sharon is no terrorist. Never was, never will be.

Who are you kidding ? A poll in an international site (not on this site) will confirm otherwise !
human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: You are Right. Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

starlight wrote:
Jim wrote:

Who are you kidding ? A poll in an international site (not on this site) will confirm otherwise !

I say you are right, and no doubt that for Arabs in general, and for Technicolor fake westernized Arabs like you GN. Sharon is the ultimate terrorist.

Just because he kick the Arabs ass so silly when he came as close of 100km from Cairo the capital hole of Arabia ass.

But for us he will always be the lion and the hero.
Nannette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

starlight wrote:
Jim wrote:

A poll? Instead of international law??? Rolling Eyes

I'm not surprised your signature is from a propaganda site and not researched... because Herzl never said what your claiming... but hey, why let the truth get in the way of being anti-Israel...
BIG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

starlight wrote:
Jim wrote:

Starlight. Can I ask you a question? Who killed more Muslims, Saddam Hussein or every Israeli Prime Minister combined?
Disciple

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Greetings,
I think Israel has shown miraculous restraint in 1) not eliminating arafat, 2) not ejecting all palestinians from Israel, 3) not nuking Seria and 4) it's unbelievable that they are still willing to negotiate with those who wish to kill them.

respectfully,
reality check

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

starlight wrote:

It is essential that the sufferings of Jews. . . become worse. . . this will assist in realization of our plans. . .I have an excellent idea. . . I shall induce anti-Semites to liquidate Jewish wealth........Theordore Herzl

Starlight I have to say that I find your closing quotation
really offensive. It is a classic Jew-hater's device to twist
a quotation from a Jew in this manner, to implicate Jews
in their own genocide. It also completely exonorates the
guilty, including a large number of Nazi war criminals.

You include this in a discourse where Sharon is villified as
well, for what some Arabs did to each other. Even though
I don't know you, your decision to propagate this sort of
Jewish-scapegoating propaganda - especially here where
you've been treated more than fairly - tells me everything
I need to know of the depth and quality of your character.

Maybe it's because you see the (so-called) Palestinians in
such precise control of the conditions of their occupation.
Or maybe it's just the old Arab tactic of accusing someone
of doing precisely what they have done first themselves.
Are you Arab? You got some explaining to do regardless!

Michael_BlackburnSr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: A classic Jew-Hater........... Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

reality check wrote:
Starlight I have to say that I find your closing quotation
really offensive. It is a classic Jew-hater's device.... [/color][/size]

BINGO!
Starlight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

BIG wrote:
starlight wrote:
Jim wrote:

Starlight. Can I ask you a question? Who killed more Muslims, Saddam Hussein or every Israeli Prime Minister combined?

Excellent question , do you what happened to the 500 villages that existed ,so many of their people killed by the Irgun and Hannagah ?(like Dir yassine )

This is the list of a few little towns and villages that got destroyed many at dawn while people slept /

http://www.jerusalemites.org/crimes/destroyed_villages/
Nannette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

The quote is taken from an address Dayan gave to Technion University students on March 19, 1969. A transcription of the speech appeared in Ha'aretz on April 4, 1969.

In answer to a student's question suggesting that Israel adopt a policy of punishing Arabs who commit crimes in the West Bank by deportation to Jordan, Dayan answers that he is vehemently opposed to this idea, insisting that the answer to the longstanding Arab-Israeli problem is to learn to live together with Arab neighbors. He goes on to say:

“We came to a region that was inhabited by Arabs, and we set up a Jewish state. In many places, we purchased the land from Arabs and set up Jewish villages where there had once been Arab villages. You don't even know the names [of the previous Arab villages] and I don't blame you, because those geography books aren't around anymore. Not only the books, the villages aren't around...”

Dayan's conclusion was that the solution to the Arab-Israeli problem is to learn to coexist with them.

In the misquote, the key phrase “we purchased the land from Arabs” is omitted and thus Dayan's meaning is misrepresented. Dayan was not saying that Arabs were dispossessed. On the contrary, he was indicating that though Arabs sold the land of their own free will, given their one-time presence in the land of Israel, the Israeli goal is to live peacefully together with them.

http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_article=371&x_context=7

Your source totally misquotes Dayan's speech!
BIG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

starlight wrote:
BIG wrote:
starlight wrote:
Jim wrote:

Excellent question , do you what happened to the 500 villages that existed ,so many of their people killed by the Irgun and Hannagah ?(like Dir yassine )

This is the list of a few little towns and villages that got destroyed many at dawn while people slept /

http://www.jerusalemites.org/crimes/destroyed_villages/

OK, I get it. You feel that a building is more important than a human life. That the biggest crime one can commit is the knocking down of a home. Rape and murder pale in comparrison.

I asked you who you thought killed more Muslims, Saddam or every Israeli Prime Minister combined? Now I understand that the Islamic learning method of rote memorization has left you severely challenged, but what was so hard about the question? Why do you feel that answering a simple question somehow lessens your convictions about your cause? Why do you feel evasion of an issue solves anything?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Jerusalem Posts Forum Index -> Introduction to the Arab/Israel Conflict All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: